Well, CM Punk just announced on AEW Rampage that he has an injury that requires surgery, so AEW needs to crown an interim AEW World Champion.
The situation wasn’t actually announced very clearly at all and commentary only served to further confuse the situation, so just to clarify what’s happening:
- Battle Royal to open the next AEW Dynamite,
- The winner of the Battle Royal will face Jon Moxley in the main event later in the show,
- The winner of that match will compete at Forbidden Door for the interim AEW World Title,
- Hiroshi Tanahashi will face Hirooki Goto at NJPW Dominion to determine the second interim title challenger,
- When Punk is fit to return, he will face the interim champion to determine the undisputed champion.
Hopefully that’s cleared up, but it does leave one question – who should emerge as interim world champion?
Well, that’s what we’re gonna look at in this list! Here are the six best choices for who should become interim AEW World Champion until CM Punk is back.
- Ronda Rousey WWE Replacement Revealed
- Big Update On FTR Future
- Bray Wyatt SmackDown Status Amid WrestleMania Uncertainty
- AEW Star Teases WWE Return?
- WWE Star Reacts To Fans Believing They’d Be Buried Following Vince McMahon Departure
- Big Clue AEW Stars Are Heading To WWE?
- Mercedes Moné Hints At Potential Unfinished Business in WWE
- Cody Rhodes Reveals Special WrestleMania 39 T-Shirt
- Top WWE Star Hopes To Work With AEW Star On Screen
- Saraya Recruits Recent AEW Signees To The Outcasts?