After a four-year absence from New Japan Pro Wrestling, Kenny Omega is set to return to NJPW to face Will Ospreay at Wrestle Kingdom in 2023.
Fightful Select (subscription required) has reported that conversations started during the summer for the match to take place.
Omega had teased the idea of a match during a Fightful interview in June before the Forbidden Door show.
The match hadn’t been finalised at that stage.
Fightful Select was able to confirm that Rocky Romero had “played a huge role” in making the match a reality.
Romero has, per Fightful Select, “played a huge factor in NJPW’s global expansion and their relationship with numerous companies”, including being in “frequent contact with Tony Khan.”
Khan had previously claimed that he wouldn’t be sending his top AEW stars to Wrestle Kingdom 17 as the January 4, 2023 date falls on the same day as an AEW Dynamite taping.
The deal for Omega vs Ospreay was “finalized within the past two or three weeks” and was only slowed down by the suspension that occurred following the AEW All Out Media Scrum incident.
Omega recently returned to AEW television, along with The Young Bucks at AEW Full Gear.
They had all been part of the group suspended after the altercation that took place after the AEW All Out media scrum.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- ‘A Lot’ Of AEW Talent Questioning Tony Khan’s Booking
- Real Reason Roman Reigns & Kevin Owens May Still Have Backstage Heat
- Update On ‘Talks Behind-The-Scenes’ Of The Rock Returning At WWE Royal Rumble 2023
- Update On CM Punk AEW Contract & Release Status
- Scrapped Plans On Other Ways To Write William Regal Off AEW TV
- Injured WWE Star Cleared For Return
- Likely Reason William Regal Is Already Returning To WWE
- Rumor Killer On WWE Name Leaving The Company
- Video: Current NXT Star Goes Off On Tryout Athletes For Lack Of Energy
- Huge Update On CM Punk’s Status For AEW Video Game ‘Fight Forever’