Details have emerged on Andrade El Idolo’s relationship with Lucha Libre AAA, amid speculation about his potential AEW departure.
On Friday’s (October 7) edition of Rampage, Andrade will face off against the Dark Order’s 10 in singles action. If Andrade wins, 10 will be forced to remove his mask, however if El Idolo is defeated, he will be forced to leave AEW.
Andrade’s recent social media activity has fuelled speculation that the star will be finishing up with AEW soon.
On Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer noted that Andrade is frustrated with AAA, the Mexican promotion which partners with AEW.
Recapping recent interactions between the two parties, Meltzer noted:
“(Andrade El Idolo) has not been on good terms with AAA. Konnan asked for the idea for the Andrade/Kenny Omega match where Ric Flair was in the ring and Konnan worked a spot with Ric Flair and everything. He felt that they owed him one.
“If you remember at the time, Kenny Omega was very open to losing to Andrade, losing the championship to Andrade. At first, the original booking plan was for Andrade to win. And then AAA decided that Andrade was… I felt that it was the price he was asking. With the price he was asking, they figured they would rather have Kenny Omega win. So Omega won the match even though Flair was there and everything like that.
“Andrade worked (there) again, but he has not worked some recent shows there and got the impression that he – I think he thought he would be working all three TripleMania shows, and when that didn’t happen I think that he’s kind of on the outs there right now.
“Also, working for AAA meant that he couldn’t go to New Japan, and I know that he would like to go back to New Japan. When he was younger he held the Intercontinental Championship there, he feuded with Shinsuke Nakamura, and Kidani was a big proponent of his. He was very disappointed when he went to WWE because felt that Andrade could have been a major superstar in Japan.”
Andrade has previously expressed frustration at not being able to work with NJPW. It is believed that this is because NJPW’s partner promotion CMLL doesn’t want NJPW associating with AAA talent because of , and Andrade has a deal with AAA.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- WWE Stars Honor Late TV Star Jason David Frank
- AEW Star Praises Ricky ‘The Dragon’ Steamboat After Return Match
- Bayley Recruits Recent Celebrity WWE Signee to Damage CTRL?
- Correction On William Regal AEW Contract Status
- Sami Zayn/Roman Reigns Plans Revealed, William Regal WWE Return Update, Major WWE India Show – News Bulletin – November 28, 2022
- CM Punk “S**t The Bed” Putting AEW Into “Freefall” Claims WWE Hall of Famer
- Real Reason Why Roman Reigns Didn’t Have Red Gear For Survivor Series WarGames
- Former WWE Star Criticizes Aspect Of AEW TV For Being ‘A Bit Much’
- Details On New WWE Tryout This Week
- Triple H Reveals Scrapped Plans For Celebrity Appearance At Survivor Series