A top AEW star has opened up on what sells tickets in an era where athleticism has “gone through the roof”.
Chris Jericho made the statement during an interview with 98 Rock Radio, using a “dream match” from March 2023 as a point of reference.
The leader of the Jericho Appreciation Society, said:
“The level of athleticism has just gone through the roof nowadays in 2023. If you watch on Dynamite few weeks ago Kenny Omega vs Vikingo from Mexico. Vikingo I never seen like, he literally goes against any type of aerodynamics or defies gravity, even just the angles and that sort of things.
“There are lot of guys like that, I remember high-flying, I do the lionsault, the second rope moonsault and that back in the day was one of the most amazing crazy move. Now it’s not a big deal.”
While Jericho can clearly appreciate the spectacle of what’s on offer, he would give insight into what brings fans to the show in the first place, stating:
“Wrestling has always been and always will be storytelling, it’s about the characters and the story you tell to get people interested.
“The moves, the amazing acrobatics blows your mind, but it’s the story that sells tickets.”
The Jericho Appreciation Society is an AEW faction that is driven by “sports entertainment” with JAS member Daniel Garcia recently referring to himself as a “90s tribute act”.
The recent episode of AEW Dynamite ended with a story-heavy encounter between Adam Cole and Chris Jericho.
Transcript from wrestlingmaniafan.in.
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- WWE Posts Statement On The Passing Of The Iron Sheik
- CM Punk Match Announced For First Ever AEW Collision
- Ex-WWE Name Concerned That Top Star Would Be ‘Wardlow-ed’ In AEW
- ‘Well-Liked’ AEW Name Retiring
- MJF Namedrops Vince McMahon On AEW Dynamite, Next Challenger Revealed
- Huge Clue WWE Star Could Be Retiring Soon
- Big Update On Mercedes Mone Status For AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door 2023
- Did Swerve Strickland Beat Orange Cassidy For The AEW International Championship
- WWE World Heavyweight Title Match Added To Madison Square Garden SmackDown
- Referee Bump In AEW Dynamite Main Event Leads To Controversial Finish