Chris Jericho has noted that AEW was conscious of the “WWE stronghold” when choosing an arena for their New York debut debut.
WWE has produced shows in New York for majority of the company’s history. According to Chris Jericho, AEW took this into account when planning their upcoming New York show.
Speaking to New York Daily News, Jericho explained that a lot of AEW’s success can be attributed to their alternative style. Stating that AEW purposely chose to run a stadium that WWE had never been in, Jericho said:
“We’ve expanded to a lot of people that are just excited to see a different style of wrestling after being fed the same dish for 20 years plus. One of the reasons why AEW’s done so well is we’re different from WWE and that’s obvious. We do things differently than the way they do it. They’re a huge successful company, especially in the New York market. That’s a WWE stronghold.
“But there are a lot of people who are excited to see things done a little bit differently and I think that’s one of the reasons why we’re making our debut in New York City in a stadium WWE’s never been in. I’m sure we could have gone to the Garden or done the Barclays Center, but those do have a WWE brush on them. Let’s go somewhere else and make it our New York market arena. Let’s go to Arthur Ashe Stadium and that now becomes an AEW stronghold in the middle of New York, which is a McMahon country.”
AEW will put on a special episode of Dynamite at Arthur Ashe Stadium on September 22. The promotion officially returns to its touring schedule next month on July 7.
WWE returns to the road on July 16, ahead of Money in the Bank on July 18.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- WWE Announces Nine New Signings
- How Many Tickets CM Punk Immediately Moved For AEW Collision In Chicago
- AEW Getting ‘More Aggressive’ In Major Stars’ Contract Negotiations
- Arena Shut Down ‘A Lot’ Of Ideas For AEW Double Or Nothing
- Update On Ace Steel’s Involvement In CM Punk-Led AEW Collision
- AEW’s Tay Melo Addresses In-Ring Future After Announcing Pregnancy
- WWE Venue Contracts Reportedly Have Interesting AEW Clauses
- Two AEW Stars Returning From Injury Soon
- Popular Faction To Reunite On SmackDown?
- Update On Drew McIntyre Amid Ongoing WWE Absence