Former AEW World Champion Jon Moxley has discussed his decision to join the promotion during its early days in 2019.
Following an eight year run with WWE, Moxley made his AEW debut at the end of Double or Nothing 2019, AEW’s inaugural event.
Since then, Moxley has become one of AEW’s most decorated stars, holding the promotion’s World Title three times (four if you count his interim reign).
Speaking on ESPN Radio, Moxley recalled joining the promotion when there was no guarantee that AEW would be a success.
Stating that he will ride or die with AEW, Moxley said:
“It was a wreck for guys like myself and Chris Jericho. We joked that we tied ourselves, we were getting in a raft and heading down the river.
“We had no idea what was going to come. It was not guaranteed that AEW was going to be a success. We didn’t know if the show was going to be any good
“If I have a lasting impact on the business, it would probably be that I helped AEW get off the ground, and I absolutely refuse to let this place ever go to hell.
“I will ride or die with this place. I won’t ever let it go downhill or suck or anything like that.”
The popular star signed a five year contract extension with AEW in October 2022.
Moxley last wrestled for AEW on the February 1 edition of Dynamite, defeating Hangman Page in singles action.
Stay up to date with AEW win/loss records for 2023 using our tracker right here.
Transcription via SEScoops.
Think you’re a wrestling mastermind? Well you can prove it by taking quizzes in our brand new quiz section! Don’t forget to tweet us your results!
- Former WWE Star To Return On The Raw After WrestleMania?
- Latest WWE Celebrity Hall Of Fame Inductee Confirmed
- Report: WWE Having ‘Larger Conversation’ About Wrestler Safety
- Update On Dominik Mysterio Vs. Rey Mysterio WrestleMania Plans
- WWE Star Pulled From Raw, WrestleMania Status Uncertain?
- Bray Wyatt & Bobby Lashley WWE Raw Update
- AEW World Champion MJF Set For Surprising Indie Appearance
- Spoiler On WWE Star Set To ‘Shine’ On March 20 Raw
- WWE Star Vents Anger At Fans After Being ‘Followed’ At Airport
- Yet Another Star Pulled From WWE Raw