An AEW star forwent their regular ring gear following their recent heel turn.
Over the past few weeks, fans of AEW Dark and Elevation have seen a slow burn metamorphosis for Athena.
On the November 18 edition of AEW Rampage, the slow burn heel turn was completed when “The Fallen Goddess” defeated Madison Rayne and went on to attack her opponent after the bell.
To take things even further, Athena struck referee Aubrey Edwards to the shock of the fans.
Before she could continue the assault on Rayne, ROH Women’s World Champion Mercedes Martinez returned to confront the former Ember Moon.
On the November 28 edition of AEW Dark: Elevation, Athena came out without her signature wings and entered adorn in streetwear to further indicate her character change.
The former NXT Women’s Champion went on to defeat independent wrestler Laynie Luck.
In response to her gear change, the AEW star wrote the following caption on Instagram:
“Fun Fact: I didn’t even bother getting in my gear for this match,”
Athena’s recent confrontation with Mercedes Martinez points to a ROH Women’s World Title match at Final Battle 2022 on Saturday, December 10. For the full lineup for the show, click here.
Stay up to date with Athena’s win-loss record in 2022 (for televised matches) at this link.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- Spoiler For Entrant #1 In Royal Rumble Match Revealed?
- Report: WWE/Saudi Arabia Relationship ‘Absolutely A Factor’ In Sami Zayn Plans
- VIDEO: AEW Entrance Theme Plays At Royal Rumble Event
- Top WWE Star Becomes Top Merchandise Seller At Royal Rumble Superstore
- Big Change To The SmackDown Tag Title Contenders Tournament
- Top WWE Star Declares For The Men’s Royal Rumble Match
- Spoiler On NXT Star Brought In For WWE Royal Rumble
- WWE Raises WrestleMania 39 Sign At AlamoDome Ahead Of Royal Rumble
- AEW Star Reportedly Out Of Action Due To Injury
- Triple H Reveals What He Thought Vince McMahon Was Doing Before WWE Return