Arguably the biggest moment on this week’s AEW Dynamite: Fyter Fest special was Keith Lee and Swerve Strickland winning the AEW Tag Team Championship in a triple threat match which also featured former champions the Young Bucks, and the team of Powerhouse Hobbs and Ricky Starks.
While there was joy for Keith Lee and Swerve Strickland, a new report from Dave Meltzer in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter suggests it wasn’t all good news.
According to Meltzer, Matt Jackson suffered a “stinger” at the start of the match, which led to him working more carefully for the rest of the match, while visibly holding his neck. A stinger is a nerve injury that can often occur following a sudden impact, which is why it is quite common in pro-wrestling.
Writing in the Newsletter, Meltzer said:
Matt Jackson suffered a stinger early in the Triple or Nothing match where Keith Lee & Swerve Strickland won the titles from the Young Bucks in a match that also included Powerhouse Hobbs & Ricky Stars. The injury was about four minutes into the match and we were told it was a basic spot where Hobbs & Lee gave him the double vertical suplex after he tried to do his Northern Lights suplex on two guys at once, except those guys are a lot bigger than the guys he usually does the move on. He continued on in the match but worked carefully, but you could see him holding his neck in the latter stages of the match. He’s had neck issues for years from the style, and injured it taking a crazy looking Canadian destroyer out of nowhere by Penta, not in the match in Ontario but a match months earlier. He said he was okay from the stinger and feeling a lot better the next day.
It’s great to hear Matt Jackson doesn’t appear to have suffered any lasting damage, as AEW really cannot afford to lose any more of its top stars to injuries.
To keep up-to-date with all AEW injuries, you can use our tracker, here.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- WWE Hall Of Famer Reacts To Trinity Fatu Tribute At IMPACT Under Siege 2023
- Big Update On WWE World Heavyweight Championship Lineage After Seth Rollins’ Win
- Cody Rhodes Shares Message Ahead Of Brock Lesnar Match At WWE Night Of Champions 2023
- Roman Reigns Shares Final Message Before WWE Night Of Champions 2023
- Paul Heyman Breaks Silence After Jimmy Uso Bloodline Betrayal
- VIDEO: Jimmy Uso Turns On Roman Reigns, Jey Uso Reacts
- Ex-NXT Star Helps Trish Stratus Beat Becky Lynch At WWE Night Of Champions 2023
- Former Champion Becomes A Free Agent, Multiple Promotions Interested
- AEW Star Opens Up About Fears That He’d Be Forced To Retire
- WWE Crowns New World Heavyweight Champion At Night Of Champions