AEW’s Tony Khan has responded to Kazuchika Okada’s recent pitch for an inter-promotional wrestling World Cup.
Okada spoke to Tokyo Sports on the topic, saying:
“I think it would be fun to have a big event on a global scale.”
He would go on to say:
“If necessary, I will go see Tony Khan and Triple H.”
Khan recently spoke to Tim Battle of the Battleground podcast about the subject, saying:
“I’ve got experience working with different promotions and promoting angles, matches, and storylines across different companies.
“It can be challenging, but we came together with New Japan Pro Wrestling to put on, I think, the best pay-per-view of the year last year Forbidden Door.
“There are challenges to putting on an event like that, and getting the matches set, but it’s certainly something I would be open to.
“I’m open to working with anybody in pro wrestling. You never know.”
Tony Khan had previously revealed his thoughts on AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door, declaring that “the show was so awesome”.
Whilst the show had a number of obstacles, including the then AEW World Champion CM Punk being injured, Khan believes “the show ended up perfect.”
With NJPW Wrestle Kingdom featuring WWE-contracted talent, in the form of Karl Anderson, and AEW signed talent FTR (Dax Harwood & Chas Wheeler) and Kenny Omega, there’s certainly precedent now set for both WWE and AEW working together with a third party.
Transcript from Fightful.
- WWE Name Change Revealed At Royal Rumble
- VIDEO: Another Failed Kofi Kingston Royal Rumble Moment
- Released WWE Star Returns & Sets Embarrassing Royal Rumble Record
- Emotional Scenes As INCREDIBLE Sami Zayn/Bloodline Segment Closes Royal Rumble
- Cody Rhodes Wins WWE Royal Rumble 2023
- Real Reason Rey Mysterio Missed WWE Royal Rumble
- Here’s What Happened During WWE’s Mountain Dew Pitch Black Match
- Former WWE Name Makes AEW Debut
- Kofi Kingston Addresses WWE Royal Rumble Botch
- Triple H Addresses The Rock WWE WrestleMania 39 Status