Former WWE star Matthew Rehwoldt (fka Aiden English) has stated that he’d only return to the company as an announcer, not a wrestler.
Speaking on Table Talk, Rehwoldt noted that he’d love to work with the likes of Michael Cole and Corey Graves, but couldn’t see himself becoming a regular in-ring performer for WWE again.
“If I were to go back to WWE, I wouldn’t go back as a wrestler. I would not return as a wrestler.
“This sounds pessimistic, but I know how I am perceived as a wrestler given who’s running the show right now. That’s fine, and it’s hard to change that perception. As a broadcaster, I know what I bring to the table so I would gladly love to work with Michael Cole, Corey Graves, Byron Saxton, Vic Joseph, and all those guys on all their shows who do such a phenomenal job.
“So yeah, it would have to be under different circumstances. As of right now, and the world can always change, if I were to go back to WWE, I probably would only go back under an announcing service.”
The star previously noted that he believes that 2022 will be his final year as an in-ring competitor.
Rehwoldt was released from his WWE contract in April 2020, after eight years with the company.
The former NXT Tag Team Champion currently works for IMPACT Wrestling as a regular commentator.
Transcription via WrestlingNews.co.
- NXT Star Works Another WWE Main Roster Show Amid Call-Up Rumors
- Cody Rhodes Next WWE Feud Revealed?
- Released WWE Star Claims One Person Had ‘Weird Grudge’ Against Him, Vince McMahon’s Departure ‘Killed’ His Career
- WWE Star Claims He Was Released Due To ‘Backstage Political Power Play’
- Released WWE Star Reveals They Requested Their Release
- Former World Champion To Become Free Agent Next Week
- Top NXT Star Expected For September 25 WWE Raw
- Real Reason For WWE Star’s Character Change
- Tiffany Stratton Scrapped WWE Main Roster Plans Revealed
- SPOILER: AEW Star Captures Championship Title