The WWE Women’s Tag Team Championship has been vacant since the May 20 episode of SmackDown, when it was announced that Sasha Banks and Naomi had been stripped of the titles and suspended following their walkout on the May 16 episode of Raw.
A tournament to crown the next champions was then announced, with there reportedly being no plans to hold the tournament under the old Vince McMahon regime.
Following Triple H’s takeover of WWE creative, the tournament happened, and the finals took place in the main event of tonight’s WWE Raw show.
The final pit IYO SKY and Dakota Kai against Raquel Rodriguez and Aliyah to crown the new champions.
In what many would consider a big surprise, it was Aliyah and Raquel who picked up the win on tonight’s August 29 Raw and became the new champions.
Aliyah pinned Dakota Kai for the win, but IYO SKY was supposed to be legal at the time, so there’ll likely be some further storyline and fallout.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- PHOTO: First Look At Vince McMahon’s ‘Creepy Mustache’
- Update On Major WWE Return Rumored For WrestleMania 39
- WWE Main Roster Star Causes Major Title Change At NXT Stand & Deliver
- WrestleMania 39 Night One Main Event Revealed
- WWE Star Thinks Bobby Lashley WrestleMania 39 Situation Is ‘Inexcusable’
- Confirmation On Bobby Lashley’s WrestleMania 39 Status?
- Tony Khan Says Former WWE Star In ROH Is ‘Never Going To Happen’
- Injury Update On Dante Martin After ROH Supercard Of Honor
- Top WWE Star ‘Not Comfortable’ With Cody Rhodes Backstage Fight Story
- Spoiler On ‘Special’ Entrance Planned For WrestleMania 39 Night One?