AEW star and new Ring of Honor Women’s Champion Athena has opened up about why she believes AEW is a better fit for her than WWE.
Athena, who wrestled on both the NXT and main WWE roster under the name Ember Moon, joined AEW on May 29 by making a surprise appearance at AEW’s Double Or Nothing pay-per-view.
On yesterday’s (December 10) Ring of Honor Final Battle pay-per-view, Athena won the ROH Women’s World Championship from previous title holder Mercedes Martinez.
During a media scrum following the event, Athena opened up about her experiences in AEW compared to those in WWE:
“When I got to the other place, it wasn’t necessarily about the wrestling, it was about the entertainment, which isn’t bad. We tried that, it wasn’t a fit for me, but I think a big difference here is that, one, I know I’m good in the ring and it’s taken a while and I think I’ve proven myself to TK and just showed that I can do both.
“But mostly for me personally, especially with a Ring of Honor Championship, this is a wrestling championship. I am a wrestler.”
To stay up to date with all the latest wrestling news, be sure to follow WrestleTalk on Twitter.
Transcription courtesy of WrestlingInc.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- Cody Rhodes Claims He Almost Got Into A Backstage Fight With Top WWE Star
- Final 2023 WWE Hall Of Fame Inductee Revealed
- Update On WWE’s Confidence In Signing Jay White & Kota Ibushi
- Carmella WWE Absence Update Ahead Of WrestleMania 39
- Vince McMahon ‘Not That Involved’ In WWE Creative Says Nick Khan
- PHOTOS: First Look At WrestleMania 39 Stage
- Pat McAfee WrestleMania 39 Status Revealed
- Former WWE NXT Star Makes AEW Debut
- Top AEW Name Says AEW Needs CM Punk & Believes He Will Be Back
- Backstage Frustrations With Ronda Rousey Vs Liv Morgan Match Revealed