Athena has recalled early talks with AEW, revealing when AEW first reached out to her about potentially joining the promotion.
The former Ember Moon made her AEW debut at Double or Nothing, just over six months after her WWE release in November 2021.
Speaking on NBC Sports Boston, Athena revealed that AEW contacted her soon after she became a free agent, noting that AEW had first reached out around six months before her eventual debut.
Noting that she had been a fan of AEW before joining the company, Athena said:
“It was like a six-month, ‘Ah, are we interested? Are you interested?’ because I think, when I left, I didn’t know if I wanted to continue wrestling, I just knew that I loved watching the AEW product at home.
“I had a couple matches on the indies and those blew up – Shane Strickland, Taya Valkyrie, Mia Yim, and it just kept getting more and more traction. I think like, we finally just kind of hit the double tap on the phone call and it was like, ‘Yeah, let’s figure out something. Let’s do this.’”
The former NXT Women’s Champion last wrestled for AEW during a Dark taping earlier this month. Athena is currently undefeated in AEW.
Stay up to date with AEW win/loss records for 2022 using our tracker at this link.
Transcription via Wrestling Inc.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- AEW Getting ‘More Aggressive’ In Major Stars’ Contract Negotiations
- Arena Shut Down ‘A Lot’ Of Ideas For AEW Double Or Nothing
- WWE Venue Contracts Reportedly Have Interesting AEW Clauses
- PHOTO: New WWE Undisputed Universal Championship Belt Revealed
- Seth Rollins’ First World Heavyweight Championship Defence Confirmed For June 5 WWE Raw
- Two AEW Stars Returning From Injury Soon
- Update On Drew McIntyre Amid Ongoing WWE Absence
- Popular Faction To Reunite On SmackDown?
- Top WWE Star ‘Demanded’ Current Run
- WWE Star Teases ‘Big News’ For Next Week