A backstage update has emerged on the contract status of Io Shirai, ahead of her potential WWE exit.
It had previously been reported that Shirai hadn’t signed a WWE contract offered to her ahead of her deal expiring next month, with a report describing her as ‘pretty much gone’ from WWE.
Shirai took to social media to react to these reports, tweeting:
Per Dave Meltzer in the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, those at NXT were of the belief that Shirai wanted to return to STARDOM.
Revealing that some close to Shirai have indicated that the former NXT Women’s Champion would sign a main roster contract, Meltzer wrote:
“Io Shirai, on Twitter, in response to last week’s issue just wrote ‘rumors’ regarding her not signing a new contract and potentially leaving. Those at NXT said last week that at the time Shirai had not signed a new contract that had been offered. They believed she was returning to Japan and Stardom now that Stardom has stronger financial backing from Bushiroad.
“Those close to Stardom did not indicate she was coming back, although did believe she would be moving back to Japan if she wasn’t on the main roster. As noted, if she lets her contract expire without renewing she could work anywhere, whether it be Japan or the U.S., immediately. Still, she disputed this report.
“She had been injured and not been used in months but has been back training at the PC lately. Those who know her from Japan said she went to WWE with the goal of making the main roster and believe she would stay with a main roster deal.
“We haven’t heard about her signing a new deal this week after checking but there is an offer on the table and her current deal hasn’t expired yet. And at this point, she really should be on the main roster as she’s better than most on it right now.”
Shirai has been out of action due to an injury since April, last wrestling at NXT Stand & Deliver.
We will continue to provide updates on Shirai’s status as they become available.
Stay up to date with injuries and expected return dates using our WWE injury tracker at this link.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Cody Rhodes Claims He Almost Got Into A Backstage Fight With Top WWE Star
- Final 2023 WWE Hall Of Fame Inductee Revealed
- Update On WWE’s Confidence In Signing Jay White & Kota Ibushi
- Carmella WWE Absence Update Ahead Of WrestleMania 39
- Vince McMahon ‘Not That Involved’ In WWE Creative Says Nick Khan
- PHOTOS: First Look At WrestleMania 39 Stage
- Pat McAfee WrestleMania 39 Status Revealed
- Former WWE NXT Star Makes AEW Debut
- Top AEW Name Says AEW Needs CM Punk & Believes He Will Be Back
- Backstage Frustrations With Ronda Rousey Vs Liv Morgan Match Revealed