Wrestling is an unpredictable business where anyone, or anything, can potentially get over with fans.
AEW’s Billy Gunn (or Daddy Ass) is learning this right now and has revealed that he is ‘baffled’ by his sudden popularity after 30-plus years in the business.
WWE’s former ‘Ass Man’ is currently riding the wave of a resurgence in his role managing AEW’s World Tag Team Champions, The Acclaimed (Max Caster and Anthony Bowens).
Billy Gunn is adorning t-shirts thanks to the catchphrase ‘Scissor Me, Daddy Ass,’ developed by The Acclaimed in reference to him, and is a bestseller for the AEW store.
The catchphrase has been like lightning in a bottle for AEW, catching on so much that fans are singing it to the tune of Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes.
If that’s not the ultimate sign of getting over, I don’t know what is.
But Billy Gunn is just as baffled as the next person as to why this has happened. In a Happy Hour interview with Captain’s Corner, Gunn said:
“I have no earthly idea why I’m still a hot commodity. I should be playing golf somewhere and retired.”
Gunn is well versed in a catchphrase getting over, having had success previously with WWE’s D-Generation X and their tagline ‘Suck it.’
Looking back, Billy Gunn must be grateful that his sons Austin and Colten Gunn turned on him during the August 17 edition of AEW Dynamite
His popularity and success with the Acclaimed must make for some awkward family dinners.
The Acclaimed will defend their World Tag Team Championship against Swerve in our Glory at AEW Full Gear on November 19.
View the confirmed match card for the event so far at this link right here.
Transcription via Wrestling Inc.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- Replacement Named For WWE Championship Match Changed Due To Medical Issue
- NXT Star Praised For Making ‘Unprecedented’ Progress
- Triple H’s Next WWE Signing Revealed?
- More Main Roster Debuts At WWE Taping
- The Bloodline Pay Tribute To Umaga On WWE Raw
- Top AEW Star Announced For December 7 Dynamite
- Championship Match Cancelled Due To Top WWE Star Medical Issue
- Find Out When Tony Khan Will Publicly Address William Regal Status
- WWE Teases Two Epic Future Feuds On Raw
- WWE Star Returns To Raw For Vengeance