Boston Mayor Marty Walsh has made a big announcement that will likely affect WWE SummerSlam 2020 which was originally set to take place there.
The Mayor said that it is unlikely that at any point over the summer there will be any large gatherings, and officially announced nothing of the sort would happen through September 7.
He said (via F4WOnline):
“If your event brings crowds together in close contact–like a concert, a road race, or a flag raising–you should start looking at alternatives now.”
Walsh also sent out a tweet, writing:
All large-scale gatherings like parades and festivals, that are permitted by the City, are suspended through Labor Day. In the interest of public health, no permit will be issued for an event before 9/7 that could draw a large crowd.
As noted, SummerSlam was originally set for the Boston Globe on August 23, with an NXT TakeOver at TD Garden the day prior, and of course it now looks like neither will be happening.
It has also been reported previously that WWE had planned to hold the Hall of Fame ceremony as part of SummerSlam weekend because it had to be cancelled from WrestleMania, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens with that too.