It was reported last week that WWE had signed independent wrestling veteran Mercedes Martinez to a contract. WWE confirmed the news last night, announcing that Martinez will be reporting to the Performance Center immediately.
Normally WWE has these new signings spend some time at the Performance Center before debuting them on NXT TV. However, it appears that one of the company’s newest signings will be making her debut tonight.
It was confirmed on NXT last week that this week’s show will see a female battle royale where the winner will earn the right to face Rhea Ripley for the NXT Women’s Championship.
Several top NXT stars including Bianca Belair, Io Shirai and Chelsea Green were confirmed for the match. This will be Green’s first televised NXT match after making her TV debut on last week’s show.
It was confirmed on WWE Backstage last night that Mercedes Martinez will also be appearing in the women’s battle royale tonight. However, this will not be Martinez’s first NXT TV match.
Mercedes was part of the 2017 and 2018 Mae Young Classics, reaching the semi-finals and second round respectively. Martinez also wrestled for AEW as part of the Casino Battle Royale at All Out in August 2019.
- First Look At Owen Hart In AEW: Fight Forever Revealed
- VIDEO: Former Champion Trains At D-Von Dudley Wrestling Academy
- Lita Makes Surprise Return Following WWE Injury Angle (Video)
- Cody Rhodes June 5 WWE Raw Plans Revealed
- Roman Reigns Shares First Comment Since Dramatic WWE SmackDown Ending
- AEW Teasing Popular Name’s In-Ring Debut?
- WWE Faction To Add New Members Soon?
- WWE Stars Announce Engagement (Photos)
- WWE Star Addresses Wrestling Future & Potential Retirement Plans
- Seth Rollins ‘First Title Defense’ Of WWE World Heavyweight Championship Already Happened