Cain Velasquez has recalled his match with Brock Lesnar at Crown Jewel 2019, addressing criticisms surrounding his WWE in-ring debut.
The former UFC Heavyweight Champion wrestled for Lesnar’s WWE Championship in Saudi Arabia for his first match with the company.
Speaking with Ariel Helwani on the MMA Hour, Velasquez noted that WWE wanted him to replicate an MMA fight with Lesnar, but argued that the company wasn’t willing to put the time in for the duo to flesh out their rivalry.
Apologizing to fans who were disappointed by the encounter, Velasquez said:
“It is what it is. That was just me going into it and trying to figure out what it was. It was all thrown at me at once, a new organization. I was there for whatever anybody needed to have me build into whatever they wanted to build into.
“That didn’t happen on this turn, I’m sorry to everyone that got let down. That hurt me as well because I expect a lot out of myself. I expect more for myself. They wanted me to stay in the MMA zone and have that rivalry with Brock, but they weren’t really willing to put the time in to have us work together to totally do that, they wanted us to do that.
“(He and Lesnar) didn’t work much, but talking to him for a little bit, I just know where he comes from, just from that little time spent. Very little. I know what he’s about and I respect him for that. What you see when he performs, that’s him. That persona when he’s out there, that’s him. That’s his true self. Close quarters, he’s obviously more human, but that’s him. I saw that. That’s his whole being and talking to him, I could see it.”
Velasquez was released by WWE in April 2020. The MMA star has said he has no ill will towards WWE for letting him go during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Velasquez is set to return to the ring next month during an independent show.
Quote via Fightful.
- Kenny Omega Hits Back At ‘Fans’ Sending Jade Cargill Hate Following WWE Switch
- ‘Heavy Heat’ On AEW Name For Recent Botch
- Mustafa Ali Makes Announcement About His Future After WWE Release
- Tony Khan Apologizes For Technical Issues During AEW Dynamite
- Becky Lynch Gives Brutally Honest Assessment Of WWE Women’s Booking
- Becky Lynch Shares Honest Thoughts On Jade Cargill
- ‘You Become A Liability’ – Current WWE Name Breaks Silence On Matt Riddle Being Released
- Another Potential AEW WrestleDream Match Revealed
- Tony Khan Provides Update On Wardlow’s AEW Future
- WWE Name Confirms In-Ring Retirement