Three new championship matches have been announced for WWE NXT Battleground, which goes head-to-head with AEW Double Or Nothing.
Battleground and Double Or Nothing will take place at the same time on Sunday, May 28.
On tonight’s May 16 episode of NXT, the Tag Team Championship match for Battleground looks to have been confirmed.
Mark Coffey and Wolfgang of Gallus are undefeated in 2023 and have been NXT Tag Team Champions since February.
At Battleground, it looks like Coffey and Wolfgang will once again be defending the championship against the Creed Brothers.
On tonight’s NXT, the Creeds picked up a win over the Dyad, and Julius then challenged Gallus to a title match at Battleground.
Another team that was in the mix, Tony D’Angelo and Channing ‘Stacks’ Lorenzo, look to be out of the picture now as there was a segment at a restaurant that saw D’Angelo being taken away by police for “questioning”.
Later in the show, there was another title match set up for Battleground, but this one is a little bit different.
Noam Dar will defend the NXT (formerly NXT UK) Heritage Cup against Dragon Lee in a Heritage Cup style match for the first time in US.
The rules of those matches are as follows:
Matches consist of six three-minute rounds with 20-second breaks between each round.
Matches are 2-out-of-3 falls.
Falls can be won by pinfall, submission, or countout.
Once a fall occurs, the round ends.
The match ends once a wrestler has won two falls.
In the event of a disqualification or knockout, the match instantly ends without the need for two falls.
If all six rounds are completed, whoever is ahead on falls wins the match.
The Dar vs Lee feud has been brewing for weeks and the match was set up tonight when Lee was the guest on Dar’s Supernova Sessions talk show, which was interrupted by Nathan Frazer, who proposed the match.
It also set up Frazer vs Dar in a regular match on next week’s NXT.
There was yet another Battleground title match set up later in the show, this one for Wes Lee’s NXT North American Championship.
As has been in the works for a few weeks, Lee will defend in a three-way match against Tyler Bate and Joe Gacy.
Other matches confirmed for Battleground are NXT Champion Carmelo Hayes defending against Bron Breakker, and the final of the NXT Women’s Championship tournament.
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- Paul Heyman’s Intriguing Reaction After Jimmy Uso Accidentally Costs Jey Uso Championship Match
- Potential Future WWE Bloodline Member Receives Big Offer
- Another New WWE Championship Redesign To Be Revealed On SmackDown
- Another New WWE Championship Design Revealed & Big Return On SmackDown
- Update On WWE Women’s Title Situation Ahead Of June 9 SmackDown
- Another WWE Championship Unification Match Announced
- AEW Star Becoming ‘More Important’ On Creative Team, Recent Contributions Revealed
- Paul Heyman Idea That Vince McMahon Thought Was ‘Terrible’ Revealed
- KENTA Responds To Alternate Dream Match For CM Punk At Forbidden Door
- Popular AEW Star Sidelined With Neck Injury