AEW star Chris Jericho has revealed the bizarre original faction name that was planned for The New Day in 2014.
Before The New Day officially debuted together, vignettes aired on Raw and SmackDown, featuring Big E, Xavier Woods and Kofi Kington stating that it was time for a change.
Speaking on his Talk is Jericho podcast, Chris Jericho recalled the group almost literally being named “Fresh Coat of Paint”. Explaining that WWE later decided to call the stable “The New Day”, Jericho said:
“That’s what New Day was. Their original name was literally, this is not a joke, ‘Fresh Coat of Paint.’ They decided on New Day basically right before. If you think about it, what does that even mean? Even ‘New Day’, what does that even mean?”
“It’s a Fresh Coat of Paint, yes it is!” doesn’t quite have the same ring to it.
On the latest episode of SmackDown, Baron Corbin stole Big E’s Money in the Bank briefcase. Despite this, The New Day have admitted that they think Corbin’s current character is the “best thing in wrestling“.
Quote via Wrestling Inc.
- Hit Row Return On WWE SmackDown
- Tony Khan Officially Announces Parker Boudreaux Is All Elite
- Tyson Fury Announces Retirement From Boxing
- Karrion Kross References Release In Promo On SmackDown
- Swerve Strickland Reacts To Hit Row WWE Return On SmackDown
- Another Legal Update On Jeff Hardy DUI Case
- Former WWE Referee Scott Armstrong Appears On IMPACT Emergence
- NJPW G1 Climax 32 Night 16 Results
- Vince McMahon Planned On Burying Gunther Following July 4 Raw
- Deonna Purrazzo & Chelsea Green Win Knockouts Tag Team Championships At IMPACT Emergence