An update has emerged on CM Punk’s contract status with AEW.
Following the infamous All Out backstage incident that broke out after the media scrum, CM Punk, Ace Steel, Kenny Omega and The Young Bucks were all suspended.
In the months since, The Elite have returned to much fanfare, while Ace Steel was released.
A big question mark has continued to hang over CM Punk’s status and future.
Previous reports noted that Punk was in talks of a contract buy-out with AEW, although these talks were said to have been stalled over the non-compete clause.
An update has emerged in the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter.
According to Dave Meltzer:
“Punk as of the weekend was still under contract to AEW and being paid and those close to him say the hold up on his being released is all on the AEW side as he’s ready and willing to move to his next project.”
Details are not given on what the hold-up may be.
However, the report notes that Punk is keen to move on, so the non-compete clause may still be the bone of contention between the two parties.
This update follows a recent comment made by an AEW name who said Punk is “no longer with the company.”
You can read more about this right here.
CM Punk recently made his first TV appearance since All Out during the MMA Cage Fury Fighting Championship.
Punk featured on commentary and bantered with his commentary team partners over the AEW drama.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- Potential Spoiler For WWE Royal Rumble Return
- Report: Lawsuit Filed Against Top AEW Star & AEW
- Report: WWE Drops Naughty Tag Team Name
- Report: Notable Promotion Sends WWE Cease & Desist Over Attempting To Contact Its Wrestlers
- Popular WWE Series Comes To An End
- Bray Wyatt Opens Up About What Undertaker Told Him At WWE Raw 30
- Report: What Vince McMahon Is Doing At His Office At WWE HQ Revealed
- Big E WWE Update Ahead Of Royal Rumble
- Report: Matt Riddle Out Of Rehab, Could Make WWE Return Soon
- Big Name Set To Appear On SmackDown January 27