One thing AEW has done during its existence is blur the lines between who’s a heel and who’s a babyface, and Cody is a prime example.
One week he’s battling loveable underdogs such as Jungle Boy and Sonny Kiss, and the next he’s in conflict with the likes of Eddie Kingston.
A Twitter user pointed this out, and asked Cody which side he falls into. The TNT Champion replied:
I’m neither. I’m a competitor & a reigning champion. Tired old tropes are even more insulting to the viewer considering I’ve been on their TV since I was 20. It ain’t black and white, it hasn’t been in forever. Circumstances of the match dictate who we cheer for, beautiful thing.
Some fans like this shade of grey and prefer the less black and white approach to characters, whereas a perhaps more traditional viewpoint is that there should always be clear good and bad guys.
It’s definitely an interesting topic to debate, so be sure to let us know what you think in the replies on Twitter.
- Major WWE Faction Potentially Splitting Up Soon
- ‘Lots Of Praise’ For WWE Star’s Performance On Raw
- Top WWE Star Suffering Recurring Injury
- Ex-WWE Name Ruled Out Of Joining AEW
- ‘Forbidden Door’ Match Announced For AEW Dynamite
- Brock Lesnar Could Break Surprising WWE Record
- WWE Management ‘Happy’ With NXT Call-Ups’ Main Roster Debut
- Major AEW Star ‘Bewildered’ He Could Walk Away After Recent Match
- Bryan Danielson & Kazuchika Okada React To Forbidden Door 2023 Match
- WWE Star To Make In-Ring Debut Soon