Cody Rhodes has recalled being told to save the reveal of his torn pectoral muscle bruise for the Hell in a Cell show.
During the June 5 Premium Live Event, WWE confirmed that Rhodes’ had torn his pectoral muscle completely off the bone, but would still be wrestling in the main event against Seth Rollins.
Rhodes only took his jacket off once inside the Hell in a Cell structure, revealing a giant bruise across his chest and arm.
Speaking with ComicBook, Rhodes noted that only a few people had seen the bruise ahead of the live broadcast:
“No one saw it, other than, I think Vince (McMahon) saw it. I was going to take my robe off for cameras, and the voice of God, whoever is head of production in that moment, I remember them saying, ‘Don’t.’ Stu, the camera operator, told me we were going to save it for the show.
“Very few people had actually seen it and how bad it was. Through the day, it was getting worse because there was so much blood, so much blood under my skin. I’m almost anemic, so if you chop me or squeeze me, you can see it instantly. Just the perfect person to have their body ripped in half for that moment.”
Rhodes ultimately defeated Rollins after almost 25 minutes of action. He was written off TV on the following episode of Raw to have surgery.
The American Nightmare recently took home the ESPN ESPY award for ‘Best WWE Moment’ for his return at WrestleMania 38.
For a list of every WWE star out of action with an injury, and their expected return dates, click here.
Transcription via Fightful.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Scrapped Plans For Rhea Ripley At WrestleMania 39 Revealed
- Solo Sikoa Breaks Silence After Attacking Jimmy Uso On WWE SmackDown
- VIDEO: Former Champion Trains At D-Von Dudley Wrestling Academy
- First Look At Owen Hart In AEW: Fight Forever Revealed
- Lita Makes Surprise Return Following WWE Injury Angle (Video)
- Major WWE Name Touts Storytelling Of Bloodline Angles
- Cody Rhodes June 5 WWE Raw Plans Revealed
- Roman Reigns Shares First Comment Since Dramatic WWE SmackDown Ending
- Big Update On GUNTHER WWE Intercontinental Title Plans
- AEW Teasing Popular Name’s In-Ring Debut?