Here is the latest on the lawsuit brought against Combate Global by Alberto Del Rio, real name José Alberto Rodriguez Chucuan.
Per PWInsider, Combate Global has turned down an offer to enter settlement discussions. A magistrate judge referred the two sides for discussions on January 4, but Combate declined, reportedly wanting to defend themselves in court.
Rodriguez has alleged that he was owed $250,000 for his MMA fight with Tito Ortiz, and that the promotion maintained control of his social media accounts after his relationship with the Defendants ended.
In the lawsuit, Rodriguez alleges he signed an agreement in September 2016 to become a “co-spokesman, color commentator, roving reporter, pre-fight and post-fight interviewer, on-camera personality, liaison for fighter relations and brand ambassador” for ‘Combate Americas LLC’ (now Combate Global)
The lawsuit states that this agreement was terminated in July 2017, but Combate allegedly later made an offer for Rodriguez to fight Tito Ortiz with the agreement being he’d be paid $500,000 to promote the bout, and an additional $250,000 to fight. Alberto fought Ortiz in 2019, and alleges the company has ignored invoices for the payment of $250,000 for the actual fight.
Rodriguez alleged that Combate refuse to answer questions about his social media accounts, after he allegedly gave the promotion access to the accounts to promote the fight. He is suing for breach of contract, unjust enrichment, conversion (for not turning over the social media accounts).
Combate Global previously filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit, which was denied.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- WWE Announces Nine New Signings
- How Many Tickets CM Punk Immediately Moved For AEW Collision In Chicago
- AEW Getting ‘More Aggressive’ In Major Stars’ Contract Negotiations
- Arena Shut Down ‘A Lot’ Of Ideas For AEW Double Or Nothing
- Update On Ace Steel’s Involvement In CM Punk-Led AEW Collision
- AEW’s Tay Melo Addresses In-Ring Future After Announcing Pregnancy
- WWE Venue Contracts Reportedly Have Interesting AEW Clauses
- Possible Spoiler On A New Title Belt To Be Introduced On June 2 WWE SmackDown
- Two AEW Stars Returning From Injury Soon
- Popular Faction To Reunite On SmackDown?