WWE Hall of Famer Kurt Angle has revealed more details about the AEW offers he has turned down.
Angle retired from in-ring competition after WrestleMania 35 in 2019. The former Olympian previously confirmed that he has declined offers to return to the ring from both IMPACT and AEW.
Speaking with NBC Sports Boston, Angle noted that he was offered an AEW deal on two separate occasions.
Noting that he was offered a contract for ten special matches, Angle said:
They actually wanted me to wrestle, in particular. Tony Khan gave me a call, wanted me to wrestle, they offered me a pretty good deal, but I just can’t do it anymore. I wish I could, but it’s just not possible. They did offer me two different times.
“They did want me to do on-camera personality as well, a non-wrestling role, I actually turned that down as well. I wanted to start up my supplement company and put more time into that and didn’t want to leave the company at this particular time, so I decided not to do it.
“They wanted me to have big special matches. They gave me a contract for ten matches, they didn’t say how long it would be. It might not have been for a year, it might have been for three years and I would have wrestled three matches a year.
“I decided not to do it because of my supplement company, and the fact that, I’m not the same that I used to be. If I’m gonna go in there and wrestle, I want to be the old Kurt Angle and I know I can’t be that anymore.”
AEW and NJPW hosted their first crossover show, Forbidden Door on Sunday (June 26). An interim AEW World Champion was crowned at the event, with Moxley defeating Hiroshi Tanahashi to win the title.
An interim champion was crowned because the official titleholder, CM Punk, is one of many AEW stars currently out of action due to an injury.
You can stay up to date with every injured AEW star’s expected return dates using our AEW injury tracker.
Transcription via Fightful.
- AEW Star Announces Real-Life Brother Joining The Company
- WWE Star Set For First Match In Nine Months
- Triple H Praises Top Star After WWE Elimination Chamber
- Drew McIntyre Vs. Seth Rollins Set For WrestleMania 40, More Matches Potentially Revealed
- Seth Rollins Injury Update Ahead Of WrestleMania 40
- CM Punk Sends Emotional Message To WWE Fans Ahead Of Elimination Chamber 2024
- Seth Rollins Reacts To Becky Lynch Winning WWE Elimination Chamber Match
- Cody Rhodes Challenges The Rock To One-On-One WWE Match
- Australian WWE Star Loses Championship Match At Elimination Chamber
- Released WWE Star Wins TNA Wrestling Championship