While speaking with The Masked Man show, former WWE writer Brian Gewirtz has explained why John Cena never turned heel, but added that Vince McMahon did consider it.
Brian Gewirtz noted that because of the charity work that John Cena did and the money that the 16-time World Champion went on to make with merchandise, Vince McMahon probably doesn’t regret the decision:
“When it came to Roman [Reigns], the model was John [Cena], right? Because there were plenty of times when the writers would come in and be like, ‘Can we just turn John heel?’ With the, ‘Let’s go Cena, Cena sucks. Can we do it? Can we pull the trigger?’ It was something Vince never wanted to do. He considered it, he always considers all ideas but ultimately he didn’t wanna do it and I think in the end he was like, to put it bluntly he was like, ‘Thank God I didn’t listen to you,’ as far as turning John heel because John was the standard-bearer and made a ton of money for the company and Make-A-Wish and merchandise and everything, you know?””
This comes after the ever-controversial Jim Cornette claimed that John Cena could have been a ‘Ric Flair level’ heel if WWE pulled the trigger on his turn, which you can read more about by clicking here.
Thanks to POST Wrestling for the transcription.
- Matt Riddle Released By WWE
- Released WWE Star Reveals New Name?
- WWE Higher-Up Addresses Matt Riddle Being Released
- Major LA Knight SmackDown Plans Pulled Due To COVID-19
- Dominik Mysterio Reacts To Recent WWE Releases
- Possible Reason For Mustafa Ali Sudden WWE Release Revealed?
- The Miz Comments On Dolph Ziggler WWE Release
- Released WWE Star ‘Promises To Keep Going’ Following Release
- Update On Former WWE Stars Signing New WWE Deals
- WWE Tag Team Returns On SmackDown