WrestleMania 36 will go down as one of the most fascinating and noteworthy shows in the company’s history. The event, originally slated for Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida, ended up being the first WrestleMania in history being held in front of no fans.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the event was held over two nights in the WWE Performance Center, with the main event seeing Brock Lesnar lose the WWE Championship to Royal Rumble winner Drew McIntyre.
After McIntyre’s victory, due to the personal nature of the win and there being no fans in attendance to play off, Drew ended up looking directly down the hard camera and speaking to the fans watching at home.
Drew recently spoke with NBC Sports Boston about his victory, saying that he wanted to thank the fans for being with him on his journey, and that they were with him in spirit if not physically.
“I was so grateful for that moment and wanted to let them [the fans] know ‘hey you might not be here but you’re here with me and it was an organic moment.”
Despite the moment being a great WrestleMania moment, McIntyre was relieved seeing it, as he believed the moment could have been cut from the broadcast.
“WrestleMania was pre-taped the week prior. I assumed that moment would be edited out because generally we don’t look down the camera lens and break the fourth wall, but it just felt like the right thing to do with nobody there because I couldn’t look out to the crowd and make that connection because there was nobody there. So I just looked right into the camera lens had that moment assumed they would never see the light of day, and it was cool to see it during WrestleMania and people to have such a positive response.”
transcription via SEScoops
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- WWE Women’s Star Slaps Braun Strowman (Video)
- AEW Files Trademark On Interesting New Term
- AEW Star Announces 2023 Will Be Their Last Year Wrestling
- Wrestling World Unites For Heartwarming Tribute
- Major Championship Matches Official For December 7 AEW Dynamite
- Sami Zayn Reveals How Far Back Bloodline Story Was Pitched
- Backstage Details On Scrapped Plans For WWE Star In-Ring Return
- ‘Bidding War’ For WWE Show Delaying Next Episode
- New Segment Announced For December 7 AEW Dynamite
- Seth Rollins Pays Tribute To Brodie Lee At WWE Live Event In Rochester (Video)