AEW star Eddie Kingston has expressed the desire and goal to win NJPW G1 Climax Tournament.
The Mad King has always been a huge fan of Japanese wrestling and has openly admitted to adopting a lot of his move set from top Japanese stars like Mitsuharu Misawa and Kenta Kobashi.
Speaking with Fightful’s Sean Ross Sapp, Eddie Kingston expressed how he feels about AEW working with NJPW ahead of the Forbidden Door event and his upcoming match against Tomohiro Ishii at Capital Collision on May 14.
In regards to the potential of competing in the NJPW G1 Climax, Kingston said:
“Yeah. The last time I was in Japan was in 2011 for Osaka Pro, at the time. Yeah, G1 has always been a goal. I was talking to somebody the other night, it was a youngin’ in the locker room—I’m not gonna say who—but I was trying to explain that when I broke in my biggest goals were ECW, right before they closed; All Japan, at the time, before the NOAH split; and then New Japan and I wanted to be in all the tournaments. So, of course, the G1’s always a goal. If not this year, then it’ll be a goal next year. For me, personally, the competitor in me, it’s not just about being invited to the G1. It’s about actually winning. Not just doing good. Not just making it to the finals and other people would be happy about that. No, I’m trying to live forever. I’m trying to have my legacy live forever, so I’m trying to win the whole thing. So G1. There’s your answer. To anyone listening—G1! Let’s go.”
Eddie Kingston is currently embroiled in a bitter rivalry with Chris Jericho in All Elite Wrestling, with Proud N Powerful and the Jericho Appreciation Society also involved.
Jericho recently filed a restraining order against Kingston after he threatened the former AEW World Champion, which you can read here.
- Sting Pulled From AEW Double Or Nothing Weekend Due To Injury
- WWE Announces Change To Money In The Bank Location
- AEW Announces Championship Belt Redesign
- Another AEW Double Or Nothing Match To Be Added?
- Bobby Lashley Teases Brock Lesnar WWE Return
- Nikkita Lyons Provides Injury Update After Being Pulled From NXT 2.0
- Update On How Long Stephanie McMahon Will Be Away From WWE
- Men’s Owen Hart Foundation Tournament Final Set For AEW Double Or Nothing
- Full Audio: Pre-AEW Double Or Nothing Media Call With Tony Khan
- First Women’s Owen Hart Foundation Cup Finalist Set