While there has already been a lot of notable wrestling news in 2023, the biggest story of the year and any year for that matter is of course WWE’s sale to Endeavor and merger with the UFC.
While the prospect of two titans of sport and entertainment such as WWE and UFC joining forces is an exciting proposition from a business standpoint, one former WWE name has stated that for the employees, specifically of UFC, it may not be so exciting after all.
Speaking on his 83 weeks Podcast, Eric Bischoff would discuss the historic merger, while making the claim that UFC employees should be more fearful for their jobs than those in WWE.
“Will there be cost cuts? Of course there will, because there’s a lot of duplication.
“This is a guess, I suspect that there’ll be more layoffs … within UFC than there probably will be in WWE. I say that because WWE is a very sophisticated, mature business compared to UFC.
“(WWE is) probably as sophisticated as any other media company out there, including Disney and some of the other ones.”
Bischoff would reiterate his concern for those in UFC:
“I think there’s going to be layoffs — I know there will be — but I think the majority of them are going to come on the UFC side as opposed to the WWE side. I’d be more concerned if I was working for UFC right now, than if I was working for WWE.”
While these concerns have yet to be founded, April is notoriously for WWE at least, a time for employee cuts, whether that be staff or talent themselves, however, thankfully as of yet none have been made.
Transcript courtesy of WrestlingInc.
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- PHOTO: New WWE Undisputed Universal Championship Belt Revealed
- Seth Rollins’ First World Heavyweight Championship Defence Confirmed For June 5 WWE Raw
- Update On Drew McIntyre Amid Ongoing WWE Absence
- Top WWE Star ‘Demanded’ Current Run
- WWE Star Teases ‘Big News’ For Next Week
- What Happened With The Bloodline On SmackDown June 2
- Another New Theme For WWE Tag Team
- Popular Faction To Reunite On SmackDown?
- WWE Star Gets Married (Photo)
- Seth Rollins Schedule Update After WWE World Heavyweight Title Win