There has been significant criticism from fans following Cody Rhodes’ match against Seth Rollins at Hell in a Cell.
Ahead of the Hell in a Cell bout, WWE confirmed that Cody had suffered a torn pectoral muscle while training. The former AEW EVP still wrestled the scheduled bout, revealing a huge pectoral bruise during his entrance.
A number of fans have taken to social media to praise Cody’s dedication, but some have questioned how the match was allowed to go ahead, with one Twitter user simply asking:
“How tf was he cleared”
Another user discussed the severity of Rhodes’ injury, pointing out that he risked permanent damage during the bout:
“How was he medically cleared to perform and has this match not risked permanent damage for him? Everyone is saluting and appreciating what a warrior he is doing all this for the WWE universe but this is clearly risking permanent injury.”
While Rhodes’ health was the main concern from fans outraged with the match, several pointed out that Seth just suffered his third televised singles loss to Cody, and in storyline, wasn’t able to defeat a severely injured opponent.
Not wanting Rhodes’ Hell in a Cell performance to become the the new norm for injured stars, Kevin Berge of Bleacher Report summarised:
“One last thing to say from #HIAC: As tough as Cody Rhodes showed himself to be tonight, we should never encourage people to work injured, and we should never talk down about people choosing not to wrestle when they are hurt. Let this not become the wrong kind of talking point.”
When addressing the fans in attendance after the event went off the air, Rhodes stated that it was solely his decision to step into the ring that night.
We will continue to provide updates on Cody Rhodes’ condition as they become available.
- Matt Riddle Released By WWE
- WWE Higher-Up Addresses Matt Riddle Being Released
- Dominik Mysterio Reacts To Recent WWE Releases
- Update On Former WWE Stars Signing New WWE Deals
- Major LA Knight SmackDown Plans Pulled Due To COVID-19
- WWE Announces Drew McIntyre’s Next Move After Releasing Matt Riddle
- WWE Tag Team Returns On SmackDown
- WWE Legend Shares Heartfelt Message For Dolph Ziggler After Release
- Hit Row’s Ashante ‘Thee’ Adonis With B-Fab Works SmackDown Dark Match After Top Dolla Released
- WWE Faction Teases Breaking Up On SmackDown