A former WWE name has revealed how the Draft works in the company.
The WWE Draft is always a night that delivers surprises and memorable moments. The last draft took place in 2021 with Seth Rollins, Becky Lynch and Bianca Belair moving to Raw, while Drew McIntyre, Charlotte Flair and The New Day jumped to SmackDown.
Appearing on the Public Enemies Podcast’s “Behind Enemy Lines” show, former WWE writer Chris Dunn provided some backstage details on how the draft is handled in the creative department. He said:
“Ever year I was there, it completely varied. It’s like those are the highest-level of conversations. Now, there have been ones where it’s been planned out months in advance.”
“There have been ones that change even the day of. But usually, this is how you want to do it — you pick your top man and woman from each brand and then you pick their opponents for the year. Like, what are fresh matches? And kind of go from there.”
Dunn brought up Roman Reigns and Charlotte Flair as examples of top stars that creative would try to build the brands around. When those stars are involved in engaging stories, the entire roster flourishes.
“That’s kind of what you want to do, you want to build a brand around your big tentpoles like SummerSlam, Rumble, ‘Mania, and the draft process, but it varies consistently.”
Transcription via Wrestling Inc.
Think you’re a wrestling mastermind? Well you can prove it by taking quizzes in our brand new quiz section! Don’t forget to tweet us your results!
- WWE Accidentally Leaks Scrapped WrestleMania 39 Plan
- Big Matt Riddle WWE Update Ahead Of WrestleMania 39
- WWE Confirms Vince McMahon An Employee Of The Company
- Major Star In Los Angeles Amid WrestleMania 39 Return Rumors
- The Usos Break Character To Praise Sami Zayn Ahead Of WrestleMania 39
- WWE To Scrap Planned Title Change?
- Triple H Has Big Plans For WWE Raw Star
- Randy Orton In-Ring Return Update Ahead Of WrestleMania 39
- Carmella’s Role At WWE WrestleMania 39 Revealed
- Scrapped John Cena WrestleMania 39 Matches Revealed