When Gunther (then known as WALTER) first arrived on NXT UK, it was reported that he had no interest in moving to the United States full-time, and thus a future run on WWE’s main roster seemed unlikely for the Ring General.
Fast forward three years, and Gunther is now on SmackDown as the Intercontinental Champion, and is looked at as one of the fastest rising stars on the blue brand.
Gunther moving to the US opened up a whole new page of dream matches for him that were previously considered impossible. In an interview with Sports Illustrated, Gunther spoke about wanting to give the Intercontinental Championship it’s prestige back, and how he would want to wrestle John Cena.
“I am going to give this title the prestige it needs and make it the greatest prize in wrestling. I would like to wrestle John Cena and anyone else who is considered elite. I didn’t come here to be mediocre. I came here to be in the ring with the best.
Gunther is currently locked in a storyline with Shinsuke Nakamura, with many expecting the match between them to be added to last Saturday’s SummerSlam event.
If you’re in the UK but didn’t manage to get tickets to Clash at the Castle on September 3, WrestleTalk is hosting a watch party at The Joiner on Worship in Shoreditch, London, and we’d love for you to join us! Click here for more details.
- Bullet Club Member Betrays Jay White & Turns Face At NJPW Burning Spirit
- Buddy Matthews ‘May Be Done’ With AEW
- Brock Lesnar Has Shaved Off His Beard (Photo)
- Buddy Matthews Confirms Wrestling Hiatus (VIDEO)
- Teddy Long Explains Twitter Account Blocking Spree
- D-Von Dudley Recalls The Usos Asking For Permission To Use The 3D
- Report: Rumor Killer On Miro Wanting To Leave AEW & Join WWE
- Former ROH Owner Cary Silkin Shares Honest Thoughts On Chris Jericho Title Win
- AJ Styles Match Set For September 26 WWE Raw
- Wardlow Says AEW World Championship Is ‘In Shambles’