WWE star Gunther gives his thoughts on his transition from NXT UK to moving to the United States.
Gunther, formerly known as WALTER, was the most dominant NXT UK Champion in history, holding the gold for a record 870 days. He would eventually lose the title to Ilja Dragunov at NXT TakeOver 36 last August.
Before their bout at TakeOver 36, the two men clashed in October 2020 on an episode of NXT UK inside an empty BT Sports Studio.
Speaking with Ryan Satin on Out of Character, the current Intercontinental Champion explained how the pandemic era benefitted him and how it led to his move to NXT as well as eventually the main roster.
“I think I’m one of those people who really kind of profited from the pandemic. I had my rivalry with Ilja going on in NXT UK, and I think that was one of those matches that really got good exposure. During the COVID time was my title match with Ilja, and I think we really benefitted from the empty arena, that there was no crowd noise or anything like that. We both had a very intense style and stuff like that, and that match really stood out, and yeah, it put us in a position where a lot of eyes were on us and stuff like that. So I think I profited a lot from that time, and it also gave me a chance to take it little bit easy for a little bit, in terms of schedule and stuff like that. But when as it picked up a little bit again, we always had training camps at NXT UK up to the tapings and stuff. So we were a good amount of time busy and active actually in the ring over the year. But I feel like I did my bid in NXT UK during the pandemic and gave my best to keep it going, keep it interesting during the time. I outgrew it a little bit, and I felt like it was time to move on.”
Gunther joined the NXT brand at the start of 2022 before being moved to the main roster following WrestleMania 38.
On the June 10 edition of SmackDown, Gunther defeated Ricochet to win the Intercontinental Championship.
Keep track of Gunther’s win-loss record for 2022 (for televised matches) at this link.
Transcription via Fightful
- Bullet Club Member Betrays Jay White & Turns Face At NJPW Burning Spirit
- Buddy Matthews ‘May Be Done’ With AEW
- Brock Lesnar Has Shaved Off His Beard (Photo)
- Buddy Matthews Confirms Wrestling Hiatus (VIDEO)
- Teddy Long Explains Twitter Account Blocking Spree
- D-Von Dudley Recalls The Usos Asking For Permission To Use The 3D
- Report: Rumor Killer On Miro Wanting To Leave AEW & Join WWE
- Former ROH Owner Cary Silkin Shares Honest Thoughts On Chris Jericho Title Win
- AJ Styles Match Set For September 26 WWE Raw
- Wardlow Says AEW World Championship Is ‘In Shambles’