It has been announced that Hikaru Shida has been pulled out of the AEW Owen Hart Foundation women’s tournament due to injury.
UPDATE: Kris Statlander will be replacing Shida in the tournament.
After several mentions during Dynamite that hinted Shida may be unable to compete in the tournament, Tony Schiavone made the announcement official during tapings for this Friday’s Rampage.
Shida was scheduled to face Red Velvet in the quarter-finals after beating Julia Hart to qualify.
Shida’s last match was a loss in a Philadelphia Street Fight to Serena Deeb on the April 27 Dynamite, and it was announced she sustained the injury during that match.
We’ll provide further updates on the nature of Shida’s injury when more information becomes available.
In the Owen Hart tournament updates from Dynamite, Adam Cole beat Dax Harwood, and Jeff Hardy beat Darby Allin, so Cole vs Hardy will be one semi-final in the men’s tournament.
The other two men’s quarter-finals will take place next week, with Samoa Joe facing a mystery opponent, and Rey Fenix taking on Kyle O’Reilly. The winners of those two matches will be the other semi-final.
For the women, Toni Storm beat Jamie Hayter, so Storm will face Britt Baker or Baker’s mystery opponent in the semi-final round. Baker’s quarter-final with the mystery opponent is on next week’s Dynamite.
On this coming Friday’s Rampage, Ruby Soho and Riho will face off in a quarter-final. The winner of that will face the winner of Red Velvet vs Kris Statlander.
Both the men’s and women’s tournament finals are to be held at Double Or Nothing on May 29.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- WWE Announces Nine New Signings
- How Many Tickets CM Punk Immediately Moved For AEW Collision In Chicago
- AEW Getting ‘More Aggressive’ In Major Stars’ Contract Negotiations
- Arena Shut Down ‘A Lot’ Of Ideas For AEW Double Or Nothing
- Update On Ace Steel’s Involvement In CM Punk-Led AEW Collision
- WWE Venue Contracts Reportedly Have Interesting AEW Clauses
- AEW’s Tay Melo Addresses In-Ring Future After Announcing Pregnancy
- Two AEW Stars Returning From Injury Soon
- Popular Faction To Reunite On SmackDown?
- Seth Rollins’ First World Heavyweight Championship Defence Confirmed For June 5 WWE Raw