***UPDATE – A new report has revealed CM Punk’s injury status and standing with AEW.
CM Punk is usually in the news, but this week, CM Punk has really been in the news, which I guess is what happens when you dunk on your colleagues live on air, and then have a fight with those colleagues backstage.
While he hasn’t yet been released by AEW, Punk has been stripped of the AEW World Championship just days after he won it at All Out against Jon Moxley due to injury, regardless of any potential disciplinary action.
His actions may lead to a lengthy suspension (if he isn’t let go from the company entirely), but probably not eight months, which is how long he could be out after it was revealed he suffered a serious arm injury during the match.
Speaking on Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer revealed that Punk either has undergone, or will undergo surgery on the injury, which is believed to be a torn muscle, and this could take him out of action for up to eight months.
“He may have already undergone surgery, but either way he’s undergoing surgery. It was not confirmed to me it was a torn triceps, but it was confirmed to me that it’s surgery for a torn muscle in the arm, so it’s triceps/biceps, maybe pec, but probably triceps. And that’s usually about an eight-month recovery period. So he was gonna be stripped of the title either way (regardless of the fight).
“Punk’s out for eight months, or whatever it’s going to be, six months/eight months, whatever. If he’s not let go. And a lot of people don’t want him back.”
If you use this transcription or any portion of it please credit WrestleTalk.com and link to this page
The fall out from everything that took place in the media scrum and backstage is far from over, and we could expect to see a very different few weeks of AEW TV while the likes of Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks are all suspended.
To keep up with all AEW injuries, use our tracker right here.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- Backstage Altercation At AEW Dynamite & Star Sent Home
- AEW Star Has Very Awkward Encounter With CM Punk T-Shirt
- Report: Popular AEW Star ‘Trying To Get Fired’
- Big Match Scrapped From October 7 AEW Rampage
- Wrestling World Reacts To Alleged Backstage Altercation At AEW Dynamite
- Tony Khan Reveals Truth About Why He Takes Shots At WWE
- Saraya Gets Physical For First Time In Four Years On AEW Dynamite
- Sammy Guevara AEW Dynamite Status Update Following Backstage Altercation
- Food Network Star Alton Brown Celebrates AEW ‘National Scissoring Day’
- WWE Announces New Commentary Teams For Raw, SmackDown & NXT