A huge change has occurred for WWE’s most important business partner, NBCUniversal.
2023 is going to be a very crucial year for WWE. With the completion of their sale and merging with UFC under Endeavor, the next step in this calendar year will be their television rights negotiations.
Their current television partners are FOX and NBCUniversal. Not only does NBCU own the rights to WWE Raw, but they also have the rights to Peacock, which owns the tape library and premium live events with the WWE Network.
On Sunday, CNBC reported that NBCU CEO Jeff Shell left his role after he admitted an “inappropriate relationship” with a woman with the company. Shell provided the following statement regarding his resignation, saying:
“Today is my last day as CEO of NBCUniversal. I had an inappropriate relationship with a woman in the company, which I deeply regret. I’m truly sorry I let my Comcast and NBCUniversal colleagues down, they are the most talented people in the business and the opportunity to work with them the last 19 years has been a privilege.”
NBCUniversal’s corporate parent company Comcast hired an outside counsel to begin an investigation following a complaint about Shell’s “inappropriate relationship.”
Shell’s team will now report to Comcast President Mike Cavanagh. The company hasn’t been interviewing or searching for a replacement and has no plans to do so immediately.
In a statement regarding the news, Cavanagh wrote:
“We are disappointed to share this news with you. We built this company on a culture of integrity. Nothing is more important than how we treat each other. You should count on your leaders to create a safe and respectful workplace. When our principles and policies are violated, we will always move quickly to take appropriate action, as we have done here.”
Jeff Shell took over as CEO of NBCUniversal in January 2020 and oversaw the company’s theme parks, its Peacock streaming service, sports production operations, television stations group, and entertainment and news television networks like NBC News.
Best wishes to whoever has to brief Vince McMahon on this evening’s news about WWE’s most important business partner
— Brandon Thurston (@BrandonThurston) April 23, 2023
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- WWE Announces Partnership With Twitch To ‘Sidecast’ Raw & More
- AEW Star Compares Orange Cassidy To WWE’s Legendary Undertaker
- Report: Date For Cody Rhodes Vs. Brock Lesnar III Confirmed
- Spoiler On Popular AEW Name Announced For New ROH Board Of Directors
- Report: WWE Hall Of Famer ‘Adamantly’ Rejected Involvement In Current Star’s Storyline
- WWE Faction To Receive New Name
- AEW Star Says He’s Been Dealing With Torn Triceps, But Now He’s Back
- WWE Star’s First Match In Nine Months Announced
- Bianca Belair’s Hilarious Response To Bizarre Asuka WWE Trend
- Update On AEW Collision Ticket Sales For CM Punk Return