A major challenger to Kota Ibushi has emerged after the main event of NJPW New Beginning In Hiroshima Night Two.
After a hard-fought bout Kota Ibushi defeated SANADA to retain the IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Championships. A top NJPW talent put forward a challenge to Ibushi, but only for one title.
As the show closed, Tetsuya Naito emerged to challenge Ibushi to a Wrestle Kingdom rematch. Reasoning that he doesn’t deserve to challenge for both championships after his January 4 loss, Naito stated that he wanted a match for just the IWGP Intercontinental Championship.
Kota Ibushi keeps two belts, Tetsuya Naito wants just one after Hiroshima thriller.
https://t.co/RPBJ2FdD8W #njpw #njnbg pic.twitter.com/MEWX8R1N3X
— NJPW Global (@njpwglobal) February 11, 2021
Yet to be officially announced, it is unknown when this Ibushi vs. Naito rematch will take place.
If NJPW do officially sanction this match, this will be the first time that the Intercontinental Championship will be defended without the Heavyweight title also on the line since early 2020.
Kota Ibushi has stated on numerous occasions that he intends to unify the “Double Gold” into one title, however this won’t be possible if Naito becomes Intercontinental Champion.
After their exciting 2019 series of matches over the championship, it is fitting that Ibushi and Naito will have one more match for the IC title.
Stay tuned to WrestleTalk for potential updates on this match.
What are your thoughts on the above story? Let us know in the comments on Twitter or Facebook.
- CM Punk Blasts Tony Khan, Chris Jericho & More In Now-Deleted Instagram Post
- Latest News On CM Punk AEW Return After Recent Teases
- Chris Jericho Responds To CM Punk Instagram Story
- AEW Rampage Spoilers For Saturday, March 25
- Real Reason Top Star Missed AEW Dynamite
- Big Update On Stone Cold Steve Austin WrestleMania 39 Plans?
- WWE Star Responds To Standout AEW Dynamite Performance
- Top WWE Star Says Doctors ‘Aren’t Letting Them Compete’
- Naomi Confirms WWE Departure?
- Rumor Killer On WWE Offering Insane Money To Internet Star