*This Article Contains Spoilers For A Show That Has Not Yet Aired*
German wrestling is often overlooked in comparison to regions such North America, Great Britain and Japan, but one of its biggest companies, wXw saw a major title change take place earlier today.
Absolute Andy (who has my new favorite name in all of wrestling) defeated former champion Ilja Dragonuv at WxW Shortcut to the Top 2018 to become the new WxW Unified World Wrestling Champion.
— Absolute Andy (@AbsoluteAndyGER) August 4, 2018
Former champ Dragunov won the strap at wXw 16 Carat Gold in March, where he defeated WALTER and then-champion John Klinger in a Triple Threat match.
Dragunov held the title for 147 days, defending it seven times against recognizable names like Matt Riddle, Travis Banks, and even Andy himself in April.
Andy’s win tonight came as quite the surprise. Many expected Dragunov to go into Progress Wrestling‘s upcoming show at Wembley to take on current WWE UK Champion Pete Dunne in a title vs. title match, but as it stands following Ilja’s loss, he will now likely be going in empty-handed.
Other ex-WxW Unified World Wrestling Champions include WALTER, Aleister Black and Zack Sabre Jr., and it’s safe to say they’ve all done quite well for themselves.
Andy last held the WxW Championship over nine years ago in May of 2009.
Also on the Shortcut to the Top show, Bobby Gunns won the Shortcut to the Top match, which is essentially wXw‘s version of the Royal Rumble, earning himself a shot at the promotion’s title some point down the line.
Another notable occurrence from the show was the return from injury of Jurn Simmons, who himself is a former wXw Champion.
In full results:
- Julian Pace defeated Oliver Carter – Dark Match
- Marius Al-Ani defeated Bobby Gunns (c) – wXw Shotgun Championship
- WALTER defeated Dirty Dragan – Dirty Dragan Trial Series
- Monster Consulting (Avalanche & Julian Nero) (c) defeated Jay FK (Francis Kaspin & Jay Skillet) and RISE (Ivan Kiev & Pete Bouncer) – wXw World Tag Team Championships – Three Way Tables Elimination Tag Team Match
- Absolute Andy defeated Ilja Dragunov (c) – wXw Unified World Wrestling Championship:
- Bobby Gunns defeated David Starr, Dirty Dragan, Francis Kaspin,Ivan Kiev, Jay Skillet, Julian Nero, Julian Paceand Koray, Michael Dante, Mike Schwarz, Oliver Carter, Prince Ahura, The Rotation, Timo Theiss, Timothy Thatcher, WALTER(w/Marius van Beethoven & Young Money Chong), Aaron Insane, Alpha Female, Avalanche, Darksoul, Doug Williams, Emil Sitoci, Jurn Simmons, Juvenile X, Laurance Roman, Pete Bouncer, Tarkan Aslan, Tengkwa and Veit Müller – Shortcut To The Top 2018 Match
What do you make of this title change? Do you think the German wrestling scene is overlooked? Let us know in the comments below or on Twitter here. You can also join us on Discord to chat with Oli, Luke, the magazine team, the website writers and each other here!
- AEW’s Miro Seemingly Agrees He ‘Had It Better’ In WWE
- Latest On AEW Stars Missing From ‘AEW: Fight Forever’ Roster
- WWE Star Angel Teases Return To Old Ring Name
- Latest On Lacey Evans WWE Status After SmackDown Absence
- FTR Announced For AEW Dynamite: Quake By The Lake
- Finn Balor Vs Rey Mysterio Added To August 8 WWE Raw
- NXT Star Tatum Paxley Injured At House Show
- Several WWE Talents Have Had ‘Direct Meetings’ With Triple H Regarding Creative
- The Latest Cryptic Bray Wyatt Tweet Has Dropped Amid WWE Return Speculation
- X-Pac Believes Logan Paul Could Be WWE Champion Material