The identity of an AEW star who was recently contacted by WWE has reportedly been revealed.
In August, Fightful reported that a ‘notable AEW talent’ reported to AEW management that WWE reached out to them about joining the company.
Per Dave Meltzer in the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Malakai Black was a star that WWE reached out to while under AEW contract.
“What we do know is that Black was one of the people WWE reached out to even though he had signed a five-year deal with AEW.”
It is unclear whether or not Black was the star specifically referenced in Fightful’s original report.
Black has confirmed that he recently requested his release from AEW, opening up about his future in a statement shared to social media. While Black didn’t explicitly state that his release had been granted, it is reportedly believed that the popular star currently has a lengthy non-compete clause.
The former ‘Aleister Black’ was let go by WWE in June 2021, weeks after returning to TV. He last wrestled for WWE in October 2020.
He most recently stepped into the ring for AEW at All Out on September 4, teaming with Buddy Matthews & Brody King to face off against Sting, Darby Allin and Miro.
Stay up to date with AEW win/loss records for 2022 using our tracker at this link.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- Another Huge Update On Edge’s WWE Future
- Video Footage From Matt Riddle JFK Airport Incident
- WWE Airs Hype Video For Jade Cargill On SmackDown
- MJF Shares Honest Thoughts On CM Punk Real AEW World Title
- High Praise For Released WWE Star Within AEW
- WWE Hall Of Famer Confirms Wrestling Return, Names Potential AEW Opponents
- WWE NXT No Mercy Main Event Revealed
- LA Knight Teaming With John Cena & More Additions To WWE Fastlane 2023
- NXT Star Appears On SmackDown, Teases Main Roster Match
- AEW WrestleDream Main Event Revealed