The inaugural set of NJPW STRONG Openweight Tag Team Champions have been crowned.
On Saturday’s (August 13) episode of NJPW Strong, featuring matches from July’s High Alert taping, Kyle Fletcher & Mark Davis of Aussie Open defeated Christopher Daniels & Yuya Uemura in the finals of a tournament to crown the brands first tag team champions.
The duo had previously defeated the teams of the Dark Order (Evil Uno & Alan Angels) and Stray Dog Army (Misterioso and Barrett Brown) to reach the final.
Aussie Open’s win means that the United Empire faction holds even more NJPW gold, with Will Ospreay currently the IWGP US Champion, and TJP & Francesco Akira holding the IWGP Jr Tag Team Title.
Ospreay and Aussie Open are set to team together in the AEW Trios Tag Team Championship tournament, with the NJPW champions set to face Death Triangle in the first round.
There has been speculation that Kenny Omega will return for the tournament, with the Young Bucks set to team with a mystery partner for their first round match against Andrade El Idolo, Dragon Lee & RUSH.
Check out the full bracket for the upcoming AEW tournament right here.
History is made on #njpwSTRONG!
— NJPW Global (@njpwglobal) August 14, 2022
If you’re in the UK but didn’t manage to get tickets to Clash at the Castle on September 3, WrestleTalk is hosting a watch party at The Joiner on Worship in Shoreditch, London, and we’d love for you to join us! Click here for more details.
- Report: Released WWE Star ‘Caused All Kinds Of Issues’ Behind The Scenes
- Released WWE Star’s Final Match Set For Tonight
- The Rock Reacts To WWE Releases
- Planned AEW PPV Match ‘In Jeopardy’
- WWE Official Comments On Recent Releases
- John Cena Match Set For September 22 WWE SmackDown
- Released WWE Stars Reveal Backstage Details About Vince McMahon
- VIDEO: ROH Champion Holds Hilarious Training Session
- Claudio Castagnoli Comments On Bryan Danielson’s Potential ‘Retirement’ Plans
- Released WWE Star Refusing To Give ‘Championship’ Back