Gunther has revealed the inspiration behind Marcel Barthel’s new WWE name, Ludwig Kaiser.
Barthel was introduced to WWE fans as Ludwig Kaiser on the April 8 edition of SmackDown, alongside Gunther.
Speaking with Sport1, Gunther noted that Barthel was given a few potential names to chose from, but went with Ludwig Kaiser as a homage to wrestling legend Gustl Kaiser.
“Marcel has Gustl Kaiser in mind, a legendary and very influential German promoter from the time when his father, Axel Dieter, was still a professional wrestler. Marcel was given a few names to choose from and he chose that one because it sounds good and has history. That suits us.”
(Translated from German)
A number of stars have had their names changed in recent weeks. Vince McMahon has reportedly issued a memo noting that he doesn’t want WWE stars (with a few exceptions) using their real names, which you can read more about right here.
Check out a list of every WWE name change of 2022 at this link.
- ‘A Lot Of Concern’ Over Randy Orton Injury
- Report: Bandido Offered AEW Contract Following September 28 Dynamite
- Several WWE Stars Missing SmackDown Due To Hurricane Ian
- AEW Facing ‘Brutal’ Live Show Ticket Sales
- Young Bucks & Kenny Omega ‘Haven’t Heard Anything’ About AEW Return
- Brock Lesnar WWE Return Date Revealed?
- VICE TV Vince McMahon Documentary To Cover WWE Departure
- Rush Officially Signs With AEW
- Here’s Everyone Chris Jericho Could Face For The ROH Title
- The Good Brothers Are ‘Always Going To Listen’ To WWE Return Offers