A new report has discussed scrapped WWE plans, including a tag team reunion pitched before a recent WWE release.
Wesley Blake and Buddy Murphy had an eventful NXT run. Paired with Alexa Bliss, Blake and Murphy held the NXT Tag Team Championship for over 205 days in 2015. The duo never teamed together on the main roster, but were reportedly close to getting the band back together on Raw or SmackDown.
Fightful Select (subscription required) are reporting that prior to Blake’s WWE release, there was a pitch for the former team to be reunited.
Murphy had been wrestling as a singles star since 2018, winning the Cruiserweight Championship before aligning himself with Seth Rollins. No longer affiliated with Rollins, Murphy last competed in the Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal on SmackDown before WrestleMania 37.
Blake debuted on the main roster in 2020 as part of The Forgotten Sons alongside Steve Cutler and Jaxson Ryker. It was also reported that throughout 2020, Blake and Cutler were working closely with WWE creative, thinking of additional ways for them to return on TV.
Cutler was released by WWE in February. Blake followed shortly after, leaving the company earlier this month, along with a number of other stars.
Ryker is currently paired with Elias on Raw, recently playing a role in Shane McMahon and Braun Strowman’s WrestleMania 37 build.
- Sting Pulled From AEW Double Or Nothing Weekend Due To Injury
- WWE Announces Change To Money In The Bank Location
- AEW Announces Championship Belt Redesign
- Another AEW Double Or Nothing Match To Be Added?
- Bobby Lashley Teases Brock Lesnar WWE Return
- Nikkita Lyons Provides Injury Update After Being Pulled From NXT 2.0
- Update On How Long Stephanie McMahon Will Be Away From WWE
- Men’s Owen Hart Foundation Tournament Final Set For AEW Double Or Nothing
- Full Audio: Pre-AEW Double Or Nothing Media Call With Tony Khan
- First Women’s Owen Hart Foundation Cup Finalist Set