One of the more infamous moments in TNA (IMPACT Wrestling) history happened in the main event of the 2011 Victory Road pay-per-view event, when Sting defeated Jeff Hardy in less than two minutes to capture the TNA World Championship.
The match was cut short due to Hardy being unable to compete due to being heavily under the influence of drugs. Hardy spoke about the infamous match on the Broken Skull Sessions, where he revealed that he was under the influence of Soma that night.
“(Soma) hadn’t become a controlled substance yet, so I was still taking the Somas. But I do remember talking to Sting before I got too altered to even…walk out there, hardly. We were gonna do this spot with his finish – the (Scorpion Death Drop) – but my head was gonna be in a chair. And I remember being scared of that. Oh, I might really hurt my neck doing that but it’s gonna be awesome if I don’t. So yeah, I just took too much. By the time it was time for me to go out there, they (had to find me). Eric Bischoff came out there. They had to shut it down. He had to take it home real quick and that was the right thing. They had to do it.”
Hardy continued on, talking about how the one positive he got from the match is that it is embarrassing to look back on, with him crediting it as the moment he got his life together.
“To screw up like I did that night, it was just insane, but one positive asset that I have by looking back at that footage is just – so embarrassing. So – oh my God – just shameful, you know? Out there with my hero in the main event. All these people are watching. But then to do that? After that is when I really got it together. So flash forward to like 2012-2013, man. 2012 was one of the best wrestling years in my life in that company. I was on fire. I started doing the paint with the eyes and my creativity was just off the charts because I was completely sober and that’s when everything got really good.”
Hardy would remain with TNA until 2017, when he made his historic return alongside his brother Matt at WrestleMania 33. Matt Hardy himself recently spoke about the decision to return to the company back in 2017.
transcription via WrestlingInc
- New Edge (Adam Copeland) AEW Nicknames Revealed?
- WWE Raw Match Cancelled Due To Top Star Not Being Cleared
- Rhea Ripley Gives Ultimatum To Dominik Mysterio After Losing Championship
- Jade Cargill Sends Message To WWE Roster During Raw
- Another Advertised WWE Raw Match Cancelled?
- Clarification On Bryan Danielson AEW Collision Role
- Fans Think They Spotted A CM Punk Tease During WWE Raw
- Johnny Gargano & Tommaso Ciampa Comment After DIY Reunion On WWE Raw
- WWE Star Returns On Raw After Five Months Away
- USA Network Spoils Upcoming WWE Debut