An update has emerged regarding the five-month absence of Jinder Mahal from WWE television, and his return for the SmackDown World Cup.
Mahal appeared to take part in the tournament on the November 11 edition of SmackDown, where he was defeated by Braun Strowman in less than two minutes.
Prior to his most recent appearance, he last featured on the July 22 edition of SmackDown, teaming up with then-teammate Shanky against the Viking Raiders. Shanky and Mahal lost the bout.
Now Dave Meltzer has provided an update on Mahal’s extended absence in the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, writing that “Mahal in the tournament was his return after a knee injury sidelined him since late July”.
Mahal is a former WWE World Champion, winning the title at Backlash 2017 from Randy Orton.
Mahal held the belt for 170 days, before losing it to AJ Styles on the November 7, 2017 episode of SmackDown.
To keep up to date with the injury status of all WWE and AEW wrestlers, check out WrestleTalk.com’s injury tracker.
Check out WrestleShop.com for all your favorite WrestleTalk merch, the WrestleTalk Magazine, wrestling shirts for grown-ups, and more!
- Former WWE Star Makes AEW Debut
- John Cena WWE Return Date Officially Revealed
- WWE Star Addresses Potential CM Punk Return
- Update On Possible Sasha Banks NJPW Debut Match
- WWE Discussing Roman Reigns Working Both Nights WrestleMania 39, Potential Opponents Revealed
- Scrapped MJF Babyface AEW Plans Revealed
- Kenny Omega Reacts To WWE Star’s Latest Shot At Him
- Report: Absent AEW Star Rejected Creative Plans For Return
- New WWE Signings Potentially Revealed, Plans For Reality Show
- WBD ‘Thrilled’ With AEW Dynamite Viewership