Long before his current run as AEW World Champion MJF was just another young wrestler on the independents looking to make a name for himself.
Two years prior to AEW’s inception, MJF wrestled GCW’s Joey Janela in a Falls Count Anywhere match for Canadian promotion Alpha-1 Wrestling, in which he would hijack a vehicle during their bout.
In a recent interview with Fightful, Janela recalled the 2017 title match. He stated:
“Everything was on the fly in that [match]. And I jumped in and I gave [MJF] probably the most vicious lariat of all time from the car window.”
Despite the current AEW World Champion putting on his best effort, Janela won the match with a superkick. Looking back on the outcome to the bout, the GCW star believes the result should have went the other way around. Janela said:
“Now MJF is a millionaire, and I’m still on the indies getting a hot dog and a handshake, so maybe I should have been the one on the receiving end of that clothesline…”
“Maybe go back, maybe I’m the one that takes the clothesline from the car. He’s the one giving it, and I’m the one now with the Ferrari. I’m the one with the million dollars.”
Transcription via Wrestling Inc.
If you want to stay fully updated on all the latest wrestling news, click the red bell in the bottom right of your screen to receive notifications from WrestleTalk.com straight to your device!
- ‘Free Agent’ WWE Star Set For First NXT Match In Seven Years
- Seth Rollins Teases “Forbidden Door” Dream Match With Top Star?
- Top WWE Star’s Hilarious Response To Ronda Rousey ‘Demanding’ Rumours
- Report: Date For Cody Rhodes Vs. Brock Lesnar III Confirmed
- AEW Star Compares Orange Cassidy To WWE’s Legendary Undertaker
- Spoiler On Popular AEW Name Announced For New ROH Board Of Directors
- WWE Announces Partnership With Twitch To ‘Sidecast’ Raw & More
- WWE Hall Of Famer’s Daughter Slams WWE Star’s New Look
- Top Star Says AEW Talent Was ‘Very Good’ During Forgotten WWE Run
- WWE Star’s First Match In Nine Months Announced