John Cena has recalled his WrestleMania 28 feud with The Rock, noting that Vince McMahon toyed with the idea of turning him heel for the match.
While Cena was the face of WWE, a large portion of the fanbase would call for him to turn heel. Speaking on the Pat McAfee show, the 16-time World Champion revealed that he almost became the bad guy for his ‘Once in a Lifetime’ match in 2012.
Explaining that Vince McMahon decided against it, Cena said:
“I remember Vince toyed with the idea of turning me heel versus The Rock in Miami. I said, ‘No problem, I understand, I’ll do it. Just remember that we are so deep in at this point that we can’t do it and then jump back because we’ll be sunk at both ends.’ If we do it, I have to be the opposite of virtue, I have to be pure evil and we go all in.’ From a believability standpoint, people always see me in uniform because I want people to know that what they see is someone they can relate to.
“He decided against it and at that point he said, ‘I don’t think we’re ever going to do it.’ I have the luxury of playing this character, but I always play this character, which is great because it got me to dive into nuances like the Firefly Fun House match where I was like, ‘what if I have a meta experience through all of my flaws, all my timeline,’ and do stuff like that.”
Cena last wrestled at SummerSlam 2021, losing to Roman Reigns in the main event of the show. The former WWE Champion has commented on the possibility of an appearance at WrestleMania 38.
Quote via Fightful.
- Another Huge Update On Edge’s WWE Future
- WWE Airs Hype Video For Jade Cargill On SmackDown
- Professional Wrestling Term Added To Merriam-Webster Dictionary
- High Praise For Released WWE Star Within AEW
- LA Knight Teaming With John Cena & More Additions To WWE Fastlane 2023
- WWE Star ‘Miraculously’ Recovers From Injury
- NXT Star Appears On SmackDown, Teases Main Roster Match
- Video Footage From Matt Riddle JFK Airport Incident
- Tiffany Stratton Reveals Why WWE Won’t Allow Her To Use ‘Barbie’ Nickname
- ‘Make The Fight’: AEW Star Calls For Match Against Keith Lee