Johnny Gargano has explained the reason for his NXT departure, addressing the rumor that he left because of the NXT reboot.
Gargano let his WWE contract expire in December 2021, after 6 years in NXT.
Speaking on The Sessions with Renee Paquette, Gargano stated that he did not leave the company because of NXT 2.0.
Hoping that absence makes fans’ hearts grow fonder, Gargano said:
“I know people said, like, ‘Oh, Johnny left because NXT changed.’ No, I always had it in my mind that I wasn’t leaving to go to any particular place,” he opened up about.
“I kind of just felt like I needed to go because I felt like if you watch a TV show, or if you watch anything in general, if you see the same character, and obviously I changed character, I turned heel, I did funny stuff, I did things like that here and there. But if you see the same person on TV for five years, six years, it gets stale.”
“I believe that being off TV and being away makes people miss you. I think people need to have a chance to miss you, and if they don’t, then they don’t really care in general. I felt like for the last year that I was going to have fun this past year, and I’m gonna do whatever I can to try to set this place up for the future.
“That’s why me and Candice focused a lot on Indie Hartwell. We wanted to give Indie a good spot. We wanted to give Austin Theory a good spot. We wanted to help out as much as possible.
“I want to try and give guys opportunities that they wouldn’t have gotten. To have a long match with Kushida at TakeOver, I was really proud that I was able to give him that spotlight as well. It was really important for me to try to help as many people as possible before I left to kind of set that place up for a good spot for the future.”
Gargano has also recalled the original plans for his and Tommaso Ciampa’s WWE main roster call-ups in 2019, which you can read more about right here.
Transcription via WrestlingNews.co.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Jey Uso Breaks His Silence After Jimmy Uso Betrays Roman Reigns At Night Of Champions 2023
- PHOTO: WWE Star Buys His Mother A House
- Possible Injury During AEW Double Or Nothing 2023
- Shock Title Change After Suprise Return At AEW Double Or Nothing 2023
- VIDEO: Savage WWE Star Namedrop During Max Caster Rap At AEW Double Or Nothing 2023
- Major Heel Turn Ends AEW Double Or Nothing 2023
- Big Change For AEW Double Or Nothing Setup
- VIDEO: What Tiffany Stratton Said To Shawn Michaels Backstage After NXT Women’s Title Win
- Details On ‘Mandatory’ AEW Backstage Meeting About ‘Dirt Sheets’ Revealed
- Sammy Guevara Shares Touching Post Ahead Of AEW Double Or Nothing Main Event