The IWGP United States Champion Jon Moxley and Shingo Takagi have declared their desire to compete in this year’s G1 Climax. The announcements came after Moxley’s defeat of Shota Umino and Takagi’s defeat of Satoshi Kojima at Dominion.
Moxley’s name has been rumoured to be included in the G1 Climax since he won the US Title from Juice Robinson. The title win happened at the Best of the Super Juniors Finals. With this declaration it would seem that those rumours have been confirmed.
The participants, blocks and schedules for the G1 Climax are likely to be released next week. Last year’s tournament featured a total of 20 participants. Meanwhile, Kenny Omega, Hangman Page and Michael Elgin will not be competing in this year’s tournament. This would leave at least three open slots for new competitors.
This would be Moxley’s first appearance in a G1 Climax tournament. As he recently left WWE after being under contract for eight years. Before signing with WWE, Jon Moxley spent very little of his independent career in Japan. Now he will be able to make his mark on the world-class tournament.
Meanwhile, Takagi had spent his career in Dragon Gate prior to making his New Japan debut last October. He recently competed in the Best of the Super Juniors tournament where he lost in the finals to Will Ospreay. His participation in the G1 Climax would signify a possible shift to the heavyweight division.
- Backstage Heat With CM Punk Leads To Colt Cabana Missing AEW Shows?
- Former WWE Star Paul London ‘Insulted’ By Offer From AEW
- WWE Locker Room Against Sasha Banks But Not Naomi After Walkout Controversy?
- NJPW Officially Addresses ‘Severe Disagreement’ With Kota Ibushi
- WWE Changes Ludwig Kaiser’s Name For Second Time This Week
- Which Stars WWE Meant When Claiming Sasha Banks & Naomi Didn’t Want To Work With Them
- AEW Rampage Live Results – May 27, 2022
- Tony Khan Takes Shots At WWE Changing Money In The Bank Location
- Queen Zelina Injured, Timeline For Return Revealed
- Kenny Omega AEW Double Or Nothing Status Revealed After Recent Backstage Return