The wrestling status of Katsuyori Shibata has been revealed, following his surprise return to the ring during the G1 Climax 31 final event.
During the October 21 event, Shibata wrestled Zack Sabre Jr in his first bout since 2017. The wrestling veteran has since noted that the brief contest made him even hungrier for a full return to action.
As per Dave Meltzer in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Shibata isn’t currently medically cleared to compete. It was pointed out that his UWF rules exhibition against Sabre Jr was limited to five minutes with no bumps, no striking and his head always protected.
In 2017, Shibata suffered a subdural hematoma following his bout with Kazuchika Okada at Sakura Genesis. He underwent emergency surgery, and it was stated that it was unlikely he’d ever be able to step into a ring again.
Shibata is currently the head coach of the LA wing of the NJPW Dojo.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- Scrapped Plans For Rhea Ripley At WrestleMania 39 Revealed
- Solo Sikoa Breaks Silence After Attacking Jimmy Uso On WWE SmackDown
- VIDEO: Former Champion Trains At D-Von Dudley Wrestling Academy
- Major WWE Name Touts Storytelling Of Bloodline Angles
- First Look At Owen Hart In AEW: Fight Forever Revealed
- Lita Makes Surprise Return Following WWE Injury Angle (Video)
- Big Update On GUNTHER WWE Intercontinental Title Plans
- Cody Rhodes June 5 WWE Raw Plans Revealed
- Roman Reigns Shares First Comment Since Dramatic WWE SmackDown Ending
- AEW Teasing Popular Name’s In-Ring Debut?