Former WWE star Keith Lee has taken to Twitter to react to WALTER being renamed on last night’s episode of NXT 2.0.
The show ended with WALTER picking up a win over Roderick Strong, but before ring announcer Alicia Taylor could announced him as the victor, WALTER grabbed a microphone himself, and declared: “The winner of this match is… Gunther”.
To say fans aren’t happy about the change would be an understatement of mass proportions, and Lee – who was released by WWE last November – seemingly shares the same thoughts. He tweeted:
Man….if what I’m hearing is real…. Poor Walter.
WWE had filed to trademark Gunther Stark on January 13, but it turns out that name has some Nazi World War 2 connections, as plenty of people have been vocal about online.
You’d think this wasn’t something WWE did on purpose, but still, not checking and reconsidering would be a pretty bad look nonetheless.
WALTER only called himself “Gunther” and didn’t say Stark, and WWE.com doesn’t mention the name change at all in its NXT recap, still only referring to him as WALTER.
You can keep track of all of WWE’s trademark filings of 2022 at this link.
To make sure you stay updated with all the latest wrestling news, add WrestleTalk.com to your Google Discover feed and follow us on Twitter!
- WWE Accidentally Leaks Scrapped WrestleMania 39 Plan
- Big Matt Riddle WWE Update Ahead Of WrestleMania 39
- WWE Confirms Vince McMahon An Employee Of The Company
- Major Star In Los Angeles Amid WrestleMania 39 Return Rumors
- The Usos Break Character To Praise Sami Zayn Ahead Of WrestleMania 39
- WWE To Scrap Planned Title Change?
- Triple H Has Big Plans For WWE Raw Star
- Randy Orton In-Ring Return Update Ahead Of WrestleMania 39
- Carmella’s Role At WWE WrestleMania 39 Revealed
- Scrapped John Cena WrestleMania 39 Matches Revealed