Former WWE star Keith Lee has taken to Twitter to react to WALTER being renamed on last night’s episode of NXT 2.0.
The show ended with WALTER picking up a win over Roderick Strong, but before ring announcer Alicia Taylor could announced him as the victor, WALTER grabbed a microphone himself, and declared: “The winner of this match is… Gunther”.
To say fans aren’t happy about the change would be an understatement of mass proportions, and Lee – who was released by WWE last November – seemingly shares the same thoughts. He tweeted:
Man….if what I’m hearing is real…. Poor Walter.
WWE had filed to trademark Gunther Stark on January 13, but it turns out that name has some Nazi World War 2 connections, as plenty of people have been vocal about online.
You’d think this wasn’t something WWE did on purpose, but still, not checking and reconsidering would be a pretty bad look nonetheless.
WALTER only called himself “Gunther” and didn’t say Stark, and WWE.com doesn’t mention the name change at all in its NXT recap, still only referring to him as WALTER.
You can keep track of all of WWE’s trademark filings of 2022 at this link.
- IMPACT Wrestling Taping SPOILERS & A Famous Faction Returns
- William Regal Compares Putting Over AEW Star Danhausen To Past WWE Comedy
- PROGRESS World Championship Declared Vacant at Chapter 134 Event
- Update On MJF AEW Contract Situation, Locker Room Not On MJF’s Side
- AEW Dark: Elevation Stacked Card Includes ROH Women’s Championship Match
- NXT Tag Team Titles Match For In Your House Event Announced
- Reason Behind Chris Jericho Keeping Judas After His Heel Turn Revealed
- NJPW Capital Collision Results: New IWGP United States Champion & AEW Stars Appear
- Paige Has A Suggestion For Ronda Rousey
- PROGRESS 134: No Mountain High Enough SPOILERS – Major Challenge Issued For Strong Style Weekend